Eye Doctor Royal Oak MI | Dr. Manzo Royal Oak MI
Dr. Manzo routinely performs LASIK with an exceptionally high success rate. With nearly 20 years of experience in performing LASIK, he has one of the lowest corneal complication rates in the entire country for any U.S. eye doctor. Royal Oak MI residents will benefit from Manzo Eye Care’s FREE LASIK evaluation which allows them to discuss with the doctor all aspects of the procedure including the benefits and what to expect prior to committing to this life-enhancing experience.
LASIK, or Laser in-Situ Keratomileusis offers a number of benefits over other forms of laser vision correction because it is performed under a protective layer of corneal tissue. As a result, there is less surface to heal, less risk of scarring, less risk of corneal haze, less post-operative discomfort and need for medications, and your vision returns more rapidly, typically within a day or so.
LASIK can also treat a higher range of vision errors. Although post-operative results vary, most patients are able to pass a driver’s license test without their glasses or contact lenses.
How Does LASIK Work?
LASIK is a laser eye surgery performed often by Dr. Manzo. Royal Oak MI patients with nearsightedness, farsightedness and/or astigmatism can benefit from the surgery. Using a specialized instrument, your doctor will create a thin flap in the cornea, which will be folded back in order to remove some corneal tissue beneath through the use of an excimer laser. Once the corneal tissue has been removed, the flap will be replaced to cover the area where the tissue has been removed.
Choosing the Right Surgeon to Perform Your LASIK Procedure
As with any medical procedure, it is important to put a great deal of thought into whom you choose as your eye doctor. Royal Oak MI residents want to know they can trust their doctor with their health and well-being. Once you have decided that LASIK is the right procedure for you, you should conduct some research and find a qualified and experienced LASIK surgeon. Here are some qualifications and characteristics to consider:
- Board Certification – A surgeon who is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties is certified to practice in his or her specialty and has a certification beyond just the basic license to practice medicine. A surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology requires physicians to complete specific training and related continued education to his or her specialty before becoming board-certified.
- Licensing – A surgeon’s credentials can be validated by state licensing boards.
- Advertisements – Although it should not be the only criteria for choosing your LASIK surgeon, noticing ads that offer competitive pricing and basic information can be quite helpful.
- Member of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) – The ACS maintains high ethical standards for its members. Those surgeons who use the acronym “FACS” after their moniker are fellows of the ACS.
- Referrals – There is no better way of advertising good or bad service than word-of-mouth. Online reviews, are a helpful way to determine the level of care and after-care services offered, as well as getting a feel for other patients’ entire LASIK experience from beginning to end. Your regular eye care professional will also be able to offer you a referral.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology website – This website offers you a place to conduct your own search under the “Find an Eye MD” feature. Enter the term “refractive surgery” in the specialty area for a list of surgeons.
What Questions to Ask Before Opting for LASIK
During your initial consultation with Dr. Manzo, Royal Oak MI patients shouldn’t be shy about asking tough questions. Typical questions that should be asked of the surgeon include:
- How many procedures have you performed and what is your complication rate? How does that rate compare with the national average?
- Do you perform the procedure in your office or will I need to travel to a different location?
- What is your policy for following up with cases in which there are complications?
- Do you charge for enhancements? If so, what kind of price break can I expect? What is the cut-off date for addressing problems with the initial procedure?
Don’t be afraid of shopping around for the right surgeon for you. This is an important procedure and you will want an eye surgeon who is willing to take your needs and concerns into consideration and do anything in his or her power to make you feel comfortable and in trusted hands.
Find Out if LASIK is Right for You!
Unfortunately, not everyone qualifies for LASIK, according to Dr. Manzo. Royal Oak MI patients must fit these six criteria:
- Healthy Eyes – If you have any condition that affects your eye health or vision such as chronic dry eyes, conjunctivitis, cataracts or glaucoma, you may not be a good candidate. You need to be able to properly heal once the procedure is complete.
- 18 and Over – The law requires that all LASIK patients be at least 18 years of age; however, younger patients can be treated with extreme exceptions.
- Stable Vision for at Least One Year – If you have eyesight that changes often, you may not qualify for LASIK. Ideal candidates for this type of refractive surgery need to have stable eyesight for at least one year. This is mostly the case for younger patients whose eyes have not yet “settled down.”
- Pregnant – Hormonal changes within your body due to pregnancy can cause fluid levels to rise, affecting the shape of your cornea. This change in shape can have an effect on your vision. Pregnant women also tend to have dry eyes, which is not conducive to the LASIK procedure. Candidates are encouraged to wait until their hormones have stabilized and their recovery is more likely to be complication-free.
- Degenerative or Autoimmune Diseases – Patients who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, Type 1 diabetes, HIV, AIDS, Sjogren’s Syndrome, etc. may not qualify.
LASIK Financing is Available
Manzo Eye Care is pleased to offer our patients the CareCredit® card, North America’s leading patient payment program. Royal Oak MI patients will find CareCredit cards work just like a regular credit card, but are exclusively for health care services. monthly payment plans for health care procedures not commonly covered by insurance, including LASIK.
Learn more by visiting CareCredit.com or contacting our office. Ready to apply? Apply online for your CareCredit card today.
Free LASIK Evaluation
Call Manzo Eye Care today for your FREE LASIK evaluation. Our staff will be more than happy to answer all of your questions and address any concerns you have. LASIK surgery should not be taken lightly, which is why we offer you a chance to sit down with one of our highly-qualified eye care professionals and find out more information and ultimately decide if the procedure is for you.